AWS Cloud Storage Services
#AWS #Storage #AWSStorage #StorageGateway #S3 #EFS #FSx #EBS #AWSBackup #Glacier
5 min read
Here in this Blog, My attempt to Include all AWS Storage Offerings in one place to distinctly know its features, use cases, and how it works to better understand further in selecting the right storage for you from AWS and also for learning purposes for all. Thanks.
1. Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3)
- S3 is AWS's Object Storage Solution.
- It can store any amount of data for a range of use cases like data lakes, websites, mobile applications, backup and restore, archive, enterprise applications, IoT devices, and big data analytics.
- It Offers scalability, High availability, Durability Security, and Performance.
- In S3, Create Storage Buckets > Store Objects > Access for various use cases.
Storage Classes and Cost :
2. Amazon Elastic File System (EFS)
- Amazon EFS is a file storage service of AWS.
- EFS provides flexible file storage (automatically grows and shrinks as needed) capacity that scales to accommodate workloads that run on AWS Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) instances and can access files through an application programming interface (API) requests.
- You can use an EFS file system as a common data source for workloads and applications running on multiple instances.
- EFS Stored data is replicated between multiple (AZ) for durability.
- No need for management or provisioning EFS once configured.
- Create EFS File System > Mount File System > Store Data
- Note : Using Amazon EFS with Microsoft Windows-based Amazon EC2 instances is not supported.
EFS Use cases and Features :
3. Amazon FSx
Amazon FSx is a fully managed, feature-rich, high-performance, flexible, low-cost SSD/HDD based file system solution built on AWS Cloud.
Amazon FSx for Windows :
-> It support for the SMB protocol, Windows NTFS, and Microsoft Active Directory (AD) integration.
-> Supports SSD/HDD as well as Single or Multi-AZ Deployment.
-> Configure user storage quotas, DFS (Distributed File System) Namespaces, end-user file restore, encryption of data at rest and in transit. It can establish permissions at the file or folder level.
-> It can connect your file system to EC2, ECS, VMware Cloud on AWS, Amazon WorkSpaces.
Amaxon FSx for Lustre
-> A high-performance file system optimized for fast processing of workloads. Designed for any Linux workload.
-> Options for SSD or HDD. Easy to use with S3 data
-> FSx for Lustre is POSIX-compliant, so you can use your current Linux-based applications without having to make any changes. -> Also supports concurrent access to the same file or directory from thousands of compute instances.
Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP
-> AWS announced GA for this Service on Sep 2, 2021
-> Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP’s file system technology that allows customers to launch, run and scale fully managed NetApp ONTAP file systems (NAS) in the AWS cloud.
-> Giving customers the ability to migrate their applications that rely on NAS appliances to AWS without having to modify their applications, tools, processes, or workflows.
-> Supports NFS, SMB, iSCSI protocols
FSx Types, How it Works :
(PLEASE ZOOM IN TO SEE BELOW IMAGE. THANKS.)
4. AWS Storage Gateway
- AWS Storage Gateway provides integration between on-premises IT environment Storage with the AWS storage infrastructure for Easy storage management and reduce cost.
-> Customers use Storage Gateway to extend existing on-site storage for workloads. -> An essential component of an AWS Migration strategy.
-> Local cache is used to store frequently accessed data locally.
-> Allow on-premise systems to access Amazon services like S3, FSx, Archive Glacier, and EBS.
AWS Storage Gateway Types
- File Gateway — Local Access to S3 for Files (NFS or SMB)
- Volume Gateway — Local Access to S3, EBS for Disk Volume (iSCSI)
- Tape Gateway — Virtual Tape Library (VTL) interface to S3 or Glacier.
Please Zoom in to check how it all works.
Storage Gateway Types, Benefits, Overview, On-Prem Backup Usecases : Images References AWS Docs and Workfall
5. Amazon Glacier
- Long-term Storage Archival solution from AWS for infrequent Data.
- REST API, Can store unlimited amount of Data, Lowest Cost , Works with S3 lifecycle policies to automate archival of Data.
- Create Vault > Stores or configure to store to Glacier Storage. “write once read many” (WORM) on Glacier Vault policy. Limit 1000 vaults per region.
- Glacier jobs — select, archive-retrieval(asynchronous operation), inventory-retrieval.
Glacier Vault Creation and Data Retrieval Policies :
6. AWS Backup
- AWS Managed, Backup Policy-Based Backup Service to centrally manage and automate Data Backups and Restore of Hybrid Workload.
- Enforce your backup policies, encrypt your backups, and audit and report on backup activity from a centralized console to help meet your backup compliance requirements.
- AWS Backup integrates with AWS Storage Gateway and its capability to do Hybrid environment backups.
- Automated backups, retention, Item-level recovery, Application-Consistent Backups
AWS Backup (How it works) and Backup Policy Creation :
7. Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS)
- Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS) is an easy-to-use, scalable, high-performance block-storage service designed for Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).
- Use cases for Server's SAN workloads for High-performance and through output volumes requirements and/or mission-critical Database hosting as well as big data analytics.
- Restore from EBS Snapshots and launch EC2 instances.
EBS Volume Types and How it works :
On this Blog, We mainly check out AWS Storage Services for Object, file, and block-level storage offerings.
There is more to know from "AWS's Cloud Storage Services"
Which mainly includes below,
Data Migration Services like "AWS DataSync" and "AWS Snow Family" AND Managed File Transfer Services like "AWS Transfer Family"
Resource from AWS : Cloud Storage on AWS
Thank you for the read. Hope you like it.
I appreciate your time.
Follow for more Azure and AWS Content.